Up to three Junior Researcher positions are available at #SACEMA in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
The South African Centre for Epidemiological Modelling & Analysis (SACEMA) is a national research centre established under the Centre of Excellence programme of the Department of Science and Technology and the National Research Foundation, and based at Stellenbosch University in Stellenbosch, South Africa. SACEMA specialises in model-based analysis to improve health in South Africa and across the African continent. Trained in mathematics, biology, physics, economics, statistics, and epidemiology, our researchers bridge disciplines to understand disease dynamics and improve real-world outcomes.
SACEMA is hiring a Researcher / National Public Health Liaison, reporting to the Director: SACEMA. The ideal candidate would have a Master's in a relevant discipline, a passion for conducting quantitative research to improve health in Africa, a desire to learn new things, and excellent collaboration skills. Salary support will be provided from the SACEMA core grant and other external funds. The position will be based at the SACEMA offices in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
• Conducting scoping reviews for potential research projects;
• Assisting with new and ongoing research projects of priority to SACEMA;
• Providing regular updates to the Director on ongoing work and training needs;
• Publishing research findings in peer-reviewed journals;
• Contributing to grant proposals to support the above-mentioned research programme and activities;
• Contributing to SACEMA's training workshops and short courses, on an as-needed basis;
• Peer-mentoring of other junior researchers (including students);
• Contributing positively to the SACEMA community through service and regular engagement with students, other researchers, and support staff;
• Promoting the reputation of SACEMA and Stellenbosch University through positive engagement of stakeholders and publication of high-quality, relevant research.
• A Master's degree in Epidemiology, Mathematical Epidemiology, or another relevant quantitative discipline;
• A good academic record during undergraduate and postgraduate studies, as evidenced by transcripts and academic references;
• A demonstrated aptitude for research;
• Good written and verbal communication skills in English;
• Experience with scientific programming;
• A demonstrated ability to quickly acquire new skills and work in a collaborative environment.
• Fluency in word processing and data management skills;
• At least one co-authored publication in a recognised, peer-reviewed journal;
• A record of successful collaboration;
• Experience with Human Subjects Research ethics review processes;
• Familiarity with the broad range of disciplines encompassed by SACEMA's research, including infectious disease epidemiology, public health, disease ecology, mathematics, and statistics.
The full advertisement and application information may be found at http://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers (Vacancy Number: NW11/258/0219). Kindly note that this site does not work reliably with Google Chrome.
- DST-NRF Centre of Excellence in Epidemiological Modelling and Analysis (SACEMA)
- South Africa
- Closing date
- March 28th, 2019
- Posted on
- March 14th, 2019 09:35
- Last updated
- March 14th, 2019 09:41