Senior Data Scientist (Infectious Disease Modeling)
In this role, you will be working as a founding member of the Data Science team focused on building infectious disease models to help businesses and governments better predict, prevent, and respond to infectious disease outbreaks. The world now understands the importance of rigorous modeling of infectious disease in the public and private sectors, and you will be part of the early team at PHC building the future of the field. Modern data streams (genomic, mobility, search, social, etc) and modern computational techniques allow us to design, fit, and test models of transmission that are both more accurate and more flexible than classical approaches. In this role, you will:
- Work closely with the Engineering and Product teams to build scalable mathematical modeling products that enable disease prevention, prediction, response, and risk assessment.
- Perform statistical analyses of model performance, robustness, and impact.
- Present interpretation of results to internal/external and technical/nontechnical stakeholders.
- Provide technical and scientific guidance and mentor junior colleagues.
- Write appropriate documentation and tests to ensure code reproducibility and reusability.
- Contribute to scientific publications, technical reports, conferences, and open-source libraries
- Work with all levels within the company including executive leadership to bring high-performing, actionable models to end users
- Graduate degree in an analytical field such as epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, mathematics, machine learning, or computer science.
- Experience creating, implementing, and applying models of infectious disease transmission (or of systems with similar dynamics).
- Deep understanding of statistical modeling approaches.
- Experience using R or Python, Github, and the command line.
- Strong communication skills with an emphasis on the ability to explain scientific and statistical concepts clearly.
- Availability for meetings in the mornings, Pacific Time.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience working with an external stakeholder (either collaborator or client) on a infectious disease mathematical modeling project
- Experience working with large datasets (>millions of rows) such as mobility data, electronic health records, social media data, census data
- Experience with phylodynamic methods, agent-based models, and/or machine learning
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, workflow managers, and data visualization
- Experience contributing to open source software
PHC is a startup company, with the attendant excitement, energy, and opportunity for growth that a startup environment entails. The team supports remote-first employment and candidates from anywhere in the US or abroad are welcome to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation and benefits are very competitive and includes generous stock options.
- Non academic
- The Public Health Company
- San Francisco
- United States
- Closing date
- August 22nd, 2021
- Posted on
- August 4th, 2021 00:14
- Last updated
- August 7th, 2021 02:23