Quantitative disease ecologist for a six-month project modeling FMD outbreak risk in the U.S.
EcoHealth Alliance seeks a Disease Ecologist with strong quantitative skills for a six-month, full-time position. The Disease Ecologist will work with our team of scientists and staff on a research project modeling the risk of import and spread of foot-and-mouth disease in the cattle and swine sectors in the USA. Responsibilities of the Disease Ecologist include developing and performing simulations, performing statistical analyses, assembling and curating data sets, performing literature reviews and writing reports. The candidate must have strong epidemiological and computational skills, including experience with stochastic simulation, spatial analyses, and network models. The candidate must have strong writing skills and the ability to work independently.
- Develop, adapt, and run models to evaluate risk of import and spread of foot-and-mouth disease in the cattle and swine sectors in the USA
- Perform literature reviews
- Produce data visualizations and participate in writing scientific publications and reports
- Produce well-documented, reproducible research pipelines to enable reuse of models and data sets
- Collaborate effectively with an interdisciplinary team of EHA scientists and partners from international and domestic organizations
- Participate in other projects and tasks as required or assigned by supervisor
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in infectious disease ecology, epidemiology, or related field.
- Strong quantitative, statistical, and computational skills
- Experience and knowledge of dynamic disease modeling, including stochastic processes, networks, and spatial modeling
- Strong knowledge of open source statistical software, including R
- Demonstrated ability to self-teach new software tools and quantitative methods
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Ability to work independently
- An eye for detail
- A passion for scientific rigor and meaningful impact
- Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
The position is based at EcoHealth Alliance’s headquarters in New York City. Remote employment is a possibility for the right candidate. This position is fully funded for six months. Continued employment with EcoHealth Alliance is contingent on additional funding and is not guaranteed. EcoHealth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, and vision coverage, and a 403(b) pension plan. For further information about EcoHealth Alliance, please visit our website: www.ecohealthalliance.org
HOW TO APPLY: Send an email a single attachment labeled with your first and last name only (“first last.pdf”) in PDF format containing only (a) a cover letter, (b) CV, and (c) three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "DISEASE ECOLOGIST 2017" in the subject line. Emails without the subject line or with multiple attachments will not be received. No formal text is required within the body of your email, since only the attached document will be retained. All inquiries will receive an automatic response confirming receipt. Applications will be evaluated and only appropriate candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in EcoHealth Alliance!
- Non academic
- EcoHealth Alliance
- New York, NY (Remote Possible)
- Closing date
- December 22nd, 2017
- Posted on
- December 8th, 2017 21:22
- Last updated
- December 8th, 2017 21:22