Looking for a health economist to support economic modeling of infectious disease interventions
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute is the biggest institution for public health, international health and tropical medicine in Switzerland. The institute with over 700 employees delivers a sustainable contribution with its research, education and services to the improvement of health worldwide.
Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), our Households Economics and Health Systems Research Unit develops and applies economic, epidemiological, statistical and mathematical methods to advance innovation, validation and application in the field of public health. To support our research efforts related to cost-effectiveness assessments of public health interventions we are looking for a
Post-doctoral Fellow in Economic Evaluation (100%)
The post-doctoral researcher will support a range of projects in our unit assessing cost and cost-effectiveness of health interventions and control strategies. Our current projects include both efforts to control or eliminate infectious diseases such as HIV, malaria, rabies and sleeping sickness and non-communicable diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. The post-doc will closely work with other researchers in our unit, and collaborate with other units at the institute. She/he will be expected to implement research projects, co-supervise PhD students, and to contribute to acquiring new research grants.
Experience and skill requirements
This is a highly competitive position with a starting salary around USD 80k per year. To best fit our unit we expect the following qualifications:
- PhD in Decision Science or Health Economics from a leading research university
- Demonstrated interest in, and experience with, economic evaluation of health interventions, ideally using a range of cost-effectiveness modelling techniques
- Good programming skills in R and experience with STATA.
- Evidence of publication in peer reviewed journals
- Good communication skills, strong spirit of team work and initiative, and ability to work with professionals in a multi-cultural context
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on research programmes
- Excellent command of English (speaking and writing)
- Willingness to conduct research activities and spend time in low income countries.
Start of employment: July 2019 (with some flexibility).
Appointments will be made for an initial period of two years, but can be renewed if there is mutual interest.
To be considered, applications must be received by February 28th 2019.
We look forward to receiving your online application with
- motivation letter
- PhD course transcripts including grades
- sample manuscript (published or draft) of economic valuation conducted
- names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references.
Note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool. Applications via email will not be considered.
For further information about the position, please visit our website
- Swiss TPH
- Closing date
- February 25th, 2019
- Posted on
- January 25th, 2019 12:45
- Last updated
- January 25th, 2019 12:45