A PhD Student to develop Bayesian spatio-temporal models for large data to assess the impact of climate change on the burden of malaria.
The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and interna-tional level. Over 850 people from more than 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interven-tions.
Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), the Biostatistics Unit is offering a
PhD position in Statistics
The position is in the specialty of spatial statistics and linked to a large Research Program entitled «Climate Change and Health in Sub-Saharan Africa», which has been funded by the Deutsche For-schungsgemeinschaft (DFG) and the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). The Program in-volves several research groups with expertise on climate-related sciences, modelling and epidemiolo-gy. The PhD candidate will develop Bayesian spatio-temporal models for large data to assess the im-pact of climate change on the burden of malaria.
The successful applicant will be registered for a PhD degree at the University of Basel and receive a doctoral salary at Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) scale. The position is available immediately, but a later starting date is possible by negotiation.
Required qualifications are:
• Bachelor and a two-year MSc degree (120 ECTs) in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Sta-tistics or similar field
• Excellent programming skills in at least one programming language such as R, Python, C++, Fortran
• Knowledge in topics such as Bayesian inference and computation, Stochastic processes
• Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English; knowledge of French is con-sidered an asset.
Swiss TPH is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
If we have sparked your interest, please submit your application online via our online recruiting tool (https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All), including:
• Motivational letter
• Certificates and diplomas
• Reference letters if available
• Names and contact information (email or phone) of three referees
Please note that we can only accept applications via our aforementioned online recruiting tool. Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered. Review of applications will begin on 1st March 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
For further information please contact Prof. Penelope Vounatsou at email@example.com
Start Date: immediately or upon agreement
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Duration: limited contract of 3 years
- PhD position
- Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH)
- Closing date
- March 15th, 2021
- Posted on
- February 15th, 2021 20:47
- Last updated
- February 15th, 2021 20:47