2 PhD positions on modeling COVID-19 post-mass vaccination
2 Ph.D. fellowships funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology are available. The Ph.D. candidates will be affiliated with Lisbon University, BioISI, Portugal & Utrecht University, UMC Utrecht, The Netherlands. The Ph.D. studies will be conducted in Lisbon, Portugal (50% of time) and Utrecht, The Netherlands (50% of time), under the supervision of Ganna Rozhnova and Ana Nunes.
The aim of the project is to support evidence-based policymaking on SARS-CoV-2 post-mass vaccination by designing and evaluating novel strategies that increase vaccination effectiveness and reduce disparities in COVID-19 at the country level. Strategy evaluation will rest on projections of SARS-CoV-2 dynamics based on transmission models that are rigorously fitted to the latest data using state-of-the-art statistical methods.
The Ph.D. candidates will become part of research communities at BioISI and UMC Utrecht with numerous scientific activities, including group meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. There will be an opportunity to attend international conferences including a 4-week Nordita Program in Stockholm in June 2023 and to collaborate with local faculty and research staff. In the last years of Ph.D. studies, there will be an opportunity to get involved in the co-supervision of MSc students and teaching.
Qualifications & skills required:
We are seeking 2 Ph.D. candidates with an interest in using analytical and computational approaches to solve biological problems. The first Ph.D. position requires a mathematical background, the second Ph.D. position requires a computer science background. The preference will be given to candidates who have the following skills and qualifications:
- MSc completed or in the last stages of completion in a technical field (Mathematics, Physics, Theoretical Biology, Computer Science, etc).
- knowledge of mathematical analysis, differential equations, probability theory
- knowledge of programming language (Python, C/C++, or equivalent)
- ability to work with real databases, analyze data, interpret, and present results
- excellent verbal and written communication skills; our working language is English
- good organizational and interpersonal skills
UMC Utrecht & BioISI strive to be a workplace that is free from discrimination and provides equal opportunities for all qualified candidates.
In consultation, preferably around 1 January 2023.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and should be submitted as soon as possible. The call will be closed as soon as two suitable Ph.D. candidates are found. If you would like to be considered for one of the two positions, email us your CV and motivation letter. Informal inquiries are also welcome!
University Medical Center Utrecht
- PhD position
- Lisbon University & University Medical Center Utrecht
- Lisbon & Utrecht
- Portugal & The Netherlands
- Closing date
- January 1st, 2023
- Posted on
- September 17th, 2022 21:24
- Last updated
- September 25th, 2022 16:50